A three-day course covering the latest advances in asthma management and care for health professionals.
Taking an holistic approach, the course is presented by active experts and helps participants to be able to work effectively one on one with clients for effective management and health outcomes.
Presented by a panel of practicing health professionals including the team of the Lung Health Promotion Centre at the Alfred.
- What is asthma? – current management
- Medications & device use
- Acute management
- Correct use of inhalers and devices
- Role of allergy
- Role of spirometry
- Anaphylaxis & use of auto injector device
- Education & adherence strategies
- Peak flow monitoring
- Complementary therapies
- Self-management strategies
- Working with adolescents
- Smoking cessation strategies
- Breathing techniques
- Childhood asthma
- Asthma in general practice
- Community Asthma Resources
Cost includes morning tea, lunch and course material.
This activity has been approved for 24 CPD hours.
With the national move towards accreditation of asthma educator courses, there is now a more formal assessment process for this course. The assessment is optional and will include the following:
- Respiratory device use assessment using competency checklists
- Asthma Management Questionnaire
- Case study