This interactive workshop is designed for all mental healthcare professionals who anticipate or have recently commenced providing supervision to trainees, as well as more experienced supervisors who are looking for a refresher course in supervision.
Facilitated by Cory F Newman, Ph.D.
Drawing on recent findings from evidence-based programs, this workshop will highlight the essential contents and processes of supervision:
- The supervisory relationship
- The chief responsibilities and teaching methods of a supervisor
- Promoting ethical behavior and cross-cultural sensitivity in supervisees
- Facilitating supervisee competency in delivering a high standard of care to their patients
- Managing important administrative tasks, including providing feedback and formal evaluations in a timely, constructive manner.
Multi-modal aspects of the methods of supervision will be highlighted, including didactic teaching, audio-visual recordings, role-modelling and role-playing.
Participants will view and discuss a demonstration video of supervision, and will have the opportunity to engage in role-playing. Interactive discussion of challenging supervision scenarios will be utilised, along with didactics.