While Australian and worldwide cancer rates are increasing, the rate of cancer related deaths are now decreasing. Cancer treatment has evolved and improved significantly over recent years and today cancer is being cured more frequently and with more certainty for patients.
Primary health care nurses are invited to attend this workshop which will assist them to understand emerging cancer services and provide support to their patients during the cancer journey.
The format of the workshop will include:
- Presentations on immunotherapy as an emerging cancer treatment and cancer HealthPathways.
- Tours of the Chemotherapy Suite and Radiotherapy Suite at the Port Macquarie Cancer Institute.
By attending this workshop, participants will have increased their confidence, knowledge and skills to enable them to:
- Develop relationships with cancer specialist nurses and other key personnel through visits to radiotherapy and chemotherapy suites at the Mid North Coast Cancer Institute.
- Assist patients to access appropriate cancer specialist nurses where appropriate.
- Understand emerging therapies for cancer treatment.
- Apply appropriate psychosocial supports in practice for patients with cancer.
- Explain when genetic counselling is indicated for people living with cancer, and how to access services.
- 5:30pm – Registration, Networking and Dinner
- 6:00pm – Workshop commences
- 8:30pm – Close