With daily medication, people with HIV are living full and healthy lives. Having a GP to provide general health care is important. Northern NSW Sexual Health Services have a multidisciplinary team approach to HIV care and general practitioners are key members of this team.
As part of providing HIV specialist care, Northern NSW Sexual Health Services work in partnership with patients’ GPs by:
- Encouraging all patients to have a GP.
- Encourage patients to share relevant health information with their GP.
- Providing GPs with annual HIV care summaries, plus additional correspondence if significant health issues arise or there are changes to HIV medications.
For general health care issues identified during routine HIV care, patients are encouraged to follow up with their GP.
To support GPs in their patient’s HIV care and management, Northern NSW Sexual Health Services can offer:
- Clinical support over the phone.
- Education sessions at your practice.
- Information about upcoming local HIV/STI education courses or workshops.
Northern NSW Sexual Health Services are based in two locations:
- Lismore Sexual Health Service – (02) 6620 2980
- Tweed Heads Sexual Health Service – (07) 5506 6850
Please contact either service for more information, or to organise an onsite HIV/STI update at an upcoming practice meeting.
Northern NSW Sexual Health Services encourage all GPs to test for HIV. To support testing, consider displaying posters or pamphlets in your waiting room to let patients know it is okay to ask for a sexual health check-up, HIV test and/or a HIV PrEP prescription (including people who have partners of the same sex).
Free STI/HIV resources, including posters, can be ordered here.
NSW Sexual Infolink provides HIV and STI clinical support from 9 am – 5:30 pm Monday to Friday. Phone 1300 451 624.
The NSW HIV Support Program provides local expert advice to doctors at the critical time of making a new HIV diagnosis.
Visit the HealthPathways for:
For a list of all localised pathways see:
For further information about HealthPathways contact: